Search This Blog

Friday, August 27, 2010

The Power of the "P"

First a disclaimer: I think all boys are gross except for Elbow.

Having said that I now have to tell all my single lady friends about the secret I learned today. No, not that lame-ass book that everybody went crazy for in 2008. But the real secret to meeting men. Ready for it?

It's Pittsburgh Pirates gear. Wear it and they will come.

Today I went to the coffee shop at an absurdly early hour to study (I'm a student now) and because I'm taking the whole college thing way too far, I didn't shower. Instead, I wore my green Pittsburgh Pirates ladies cap with the ponytail sticking through in the back. I thought this look maybe said "soccer mom" or "unfashionable" but apparently the guys at CC's coffee took this to mean "wants to chat about PNC Park for hours."

The first guy waved at me when I walked in like we were friends. I ignored him until he stopped me midway to a table to tell me all about his trip to Pittsburgh and to PNC Park and to the Heinz History museum and he even bought a frickin' trivia book about Pittsburgh. "Most bridges in the world. Venice is second." We could have gone on like this forever, because the conversation had somehow switched its focus to the Saints and boy do they like to talk about them Saints boys down here. I had to sorta back and away and look busy.

Then when I was leaving, I was all strapped down with my book bag and my coffee and yet another gentleman calls out "you from Pittsburgh?" And I'm thinking really? I'm just trying to ride my old beat up bicycle back to my house. And it was more PNC Park and Penn Avenue and beautiful city and kickball league and yada yada. If I were single, I would have loved the attention. Since I am not single, and I was un-showered, I did not. BUT, my point is that it's a great ice breaker. Men and sports; girls and ball caps. Give it a whirl.

Now obviously this tactic is not going to work if you are currently in Pittsburgh. Because then people know you really haven't showered yet when you're wearing that cap. And you don't stick out in the crowd, because every person in the building is wearing either Steelers, Pens or Buccos gear. Do not try this in Pittsburgh! Do it on vacation or at your sibling's place in Denver or Massachusetts.

In other news, this city is truly the friendliest place I have ever been. And smiley! They love to chat and to smile. Come visit.

1 comment:

  1. Good post Sam. I've always thought a girl/woman wearing a baseball cap kind of gives her a more "down to Earth" look. Which real guys like and makes them more apt to approach her. But, obviously a pretty girl would get more attention! That's just the way it is.

    ReplyDelete