Search This Blog

Saturday, January 29, 2011

"Working Girl"

I got a job! A real live job! I'm so awesome!

Well, actually it's a paid internship. And it's part-time. But whatever. At least it's not an unpaid internship.

The hospital that didn't hire me offered me an unpaid spot which I thought was great and I would definitely take. But then, I met with the L Agency (not the real name) about doing some freelance work and she mentioned they offered PAID internships and the conversation took a different turn. For the better I must say.

Maybe you  are thinking "Why can't she just get a job? What is wrong with her that no one will hire her?" If only I had a piece of King Cake for every time I thought the same. I would have found that elusive plastic baby for sure by now. But here's the thing. Communications is a really tough field. In 2007, Communications (including Journalism) was the 8th most popular undergraduate degree. The field is saturated with Syracuse and Northwestern journalism grads who thought they'd work for The Times but surprise! Rupert Murdoch is going to ruin that paper. It's vowed to go paper-less by next year anyway.

The point is there are not enough jobs and there are too many people. I googled "hardest jobs to get" and whatdoyouknow "marketing" is not listed? Huh. The author had the nerve to compile a list of truly almost-impossible jobs to get, all hyperbole aside. Astronaut, forest fire inspector, model, president of the United States? Did that last one really need to be included? I'm pretty sure I had no delusions there. Here's the list if you're curious: 11 Hardest Jobs to Get

Next week we are off the Austin and Dallas for a few days. And then I start. I wonder how I'll do in an office environment again. I'll be like "I usually take a nap with my dog right about now. Is it okay if I turn on 'Real Housewives'?"

No comments:

Post a Comment