Search This Blog

Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Stars and Stripes

One great thing about the house where Elbow and I live is that it sets on sorta a main street in Uptown New Orleans. This is great for, say, sitting on the front porch and people watching, but not so great for activities such as walking around your house sans shirt or solo dance parties.

But one thing it's really great for: Irking Tiger fans! WVU plays LSU this weekend, which will be especially fun for us if WVU wins. On Fridays, some of the girls in my office sport yellow dresses and purple scarves. I'm gonna wear my WVU skort from Gabe's tomorrow.

You really have to be from the Mid-Atlantic region to know what "Gabe's" means. But my sister knows: disposable outfits!

It's fun to be a redneck in Uptown.

Proudly hailing

Can you spot the porch swing? Elbow installed one on Tuesday

They're everywhere!
I promised a story about a rocket scientist. I'm going to keep this short. A few weeks ago a disheveled guy in mandals with a  coffee stain on his t-shirt came in to the office to use our copier/fax machine. He is apparently related to someone here and, more importantly, a bona fide rocket scientist!

He was on his way to present a proposal to a big company who would fund his little start-up he dubbed "Five Guys and a Chicken."

"Wearing that?" I wanted to ask.

This guy was just talking away and I just kept asking him questions. He and his comrades are building a rocket ship to send to Outer Space. Remember that small news story a while back about the founder of Amazon's failure at rocket building? When I read that, I didn't come away with "Hmm ... it's too bad his rocket crashed." I was more like, "The founder of Amazon is building a rocket ship??" Here's that story: Billionaire Rocket Man

The guy (Chicken-Rocket Man) in our office is in a space race with the founder of Amazon. I don't like those odds.

So Chicken-Rocket Man tells me they are now working on a model called the Taurus 2.

I ask what happened to Taurus 1. He says "Ha ha. It blew up!" Giant grin.

Ha ha. I hope he wins.

1 comment:

  1. Whatevs to the first part of your latest entry. Boobs and dance parties of any variety should be shared with the world. I often dance topless in front of my windows for the passing golfers to see.
    Love the decoration - brave and totally awesome! You continue to rule!

    ReplyDelete