Search This Blog

Friday, July 30, 2010

Lizard in the Kitchen!

Yes, that is exciting for someone like me. I'll have you know that don't spend all my time crawling around our house taking photos of birds and searching for reptiles. I am in a community organization and yesterday I had a meeting! And, I have two job interviews coming up, but I can't say anymore because I don't want to jinx myself. I'm like, 14, or something.
ANYWAY, this morning I came into the kitchen and started to put away the clean dishes. I lifted up the top of a pot and Viola! out sprang this tiny lizard like I'd just been served him at a fancy restaurant.
He scrambled around the dishes (should I re-wash?)until I finally cupped him in both hands and headed toward the kitchen door. But I couldn't open it without risking his escape. Dire straits.
You see, he could get too cold in the house or he could starve. And then one day I'd unknowingly sweep up his shriveled little body like he was common garbage . . . So sad. He was already looking translucent.
So, I switched him into one hand very easily and he didn't even try to fight. I unlocked the door and held my hand open quickly, thinking, "Run Forest Run!" But the little guy didn't budge. He clung to my fingers like a prisoner who has developed weird loyalty issues with his captor. So I slowly stepped down the steps and to the far side of the courtyard to the "woods," aka the strip of banana trees, baldcypress and mulch and about forty million tiny snails that lines the property. There I coaxed him out of my hand by saying, "Freedom, don't you want your freedom?" He gave me one last parting glance-not really-and jumped off and almost instantly disappeared.

2 comments:

  1. You aren't 14... you're the new 20... and good luck with the job interviews!! You'll be great!!

    ReplyDelete